Activists file petition to remove D.W. Griffith’s name from L.A. middle school
Activists have launched a petition to remove the name of famous Hollywood director David Wark Griffith from a middle school campus in East Los Angeles, California.
The petition is part of a wide-ranging effort by activists to remove all names associated with the Confederacy from public buildings, schools and roads.
D.W. Griffith, an early movie pioneer known for glorifying the Ku Klux Klan, is credited with shooting the first movie in Hollywood as well as with perfecting the intimate close-up. But, it was blockbuster "The Birth of a Nation" that earned him the most praise as well as contempt.
Los Angeles teacher Jose Lara, who helped launch the recently filed petition, called the film "horribly racist," and many film scholars agree with the teacher's point of view.
Speaking on the topic, Lara said, "We need to rethink D.W. Griffith's role in American history and really think about should we be glorifying him naming our schools after him."
Meanwhile, a bill designed to ban the naming of schools and roads after confederate leaders, has been tabled in the California Legislature.
Supported by Sen. Steve Glazer (D-Orinda), Senate Bill 539 would prohibit state and local properties from bearing the names of elected leaders or senior military officers of the Confederacy. Public places that have already been named after confederacy leaders would have to change their names.
- Colorado Casinos get green signal to reopen next week
- U.S. Authorities Grant Approval for Tribal Casino in Park City
- Washington’s Puyallup Tribe opens new-fangled $400 million Emerald Queen Casino Tacoma
- Ohio Governor DeWine allows casinos and racinos to resume operations on June 18th
- Drew Las Vegas casino resort project’s future becomes uncertain as developer defaults on debt obligations
- Morongo Casino Resort employee tests positive for COVID-19 weeks after reopening
- MGM Resorts’ Excalibur Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas to reopen its doors on Thursday
- Nikola Motors stock jumps after the company announced electric truck reservation date
- Nevada’s El Cortez Hotel & Casino excited to welcome guests back after prolonged COVID-19 lockdown
- Fantasy Springs Resort Casino reopens its doors to the public
New Zealand News
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
- SkyCity reports “encouraging” business since reopening of three casinos following COVID-19 shutdown
- The Star Sydney Hotel & Casino signs new 20-year tax agreement with EGM exclusivity
- Air New Zealand plans to shed 2,000 more jobs to deal with low demand
- Macau Gambling King Stanley Ho passes away aged 98
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More
In a blog post published on Thursday, Facebook’s...Read More
Tech giant Microsoft has announced the launch of a...Read More
At the CES 2016 event to be held in Las Vegas from...Read More
In an announcement made on Tuesday, Disney Research...Read More