California lawmakers urge UC to act against anti-Semitism
California State Assembly on Monday approved a measure urging the University of California (UC) to denounce all forms of anti-Semitism.
Some pro-Israel groups and Jewish people have been pressing UC authorities to take up the U.S. State Department's definition of anti-Semitism, which defines more general ethnic and religious hatred against Jews. It also declares that it is anti-Semitic to demonize Israel and refuse to accept Israel's right to exist.
But, many organizations that have been protesting Israel's occupation of the West Bank have argued that such a definition would restrict right to free speech and conflate disapproval of Israel with anti-Semitism.
The resolution by the state Assembly was introduced in response to many disturbing incidents at UC, including the one in which some unknown people defaced a Jewish fraternity house with swastikas.
Assemblyman Richard Bloom, a Democrat from Santa Monica, said before a vote on the measure, "It is imperative that the California Legislature continues its strong tradition of standing up to hatred and ignorance."
Meanwhile, UC officials have declared that it will not undertake any new policies regarding anti-Jewish bias on its ten campuses at the regents' upcoming meeting. Instead, the regents will discuss various forms of intolerance, including anti-Semitism, at the subsequent meeting in September this year.
- Colorado Casinos get green signal to reopen next week
- U.S. Authorities Grant Approval for Tribal Casino in Park City
- Washington’s Puyallup Tribe opens new-fangled $400 million Emerald Queen Casino Tacoma
- Ohio Governor DeWine allows casinos and racinos to resume operations on June 18th
- Drew Las Vegas casino resort project’s future becomes uncertain as developer defaults on debt obligations
- Morongo Casino Resort employee tests positive for COVID-19 weeks after reopening
- MGM Resorts’ Excalibur Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas to reopen its doors on Thursday
- Nikola Motors stock jumps after the company announced electric truck reservation date
- Nevada’s El Cortez Hotel & Casino excited to welcome guests back after prolonged COVID-19 lockdown
- Fantasy Springs Resort Casino reopens its doors to the public
New Zealand News
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
- SkyCity reports “encouraging” business since reopening of three casinos following COVID-19 shutdown
- The Star Sydney Hotel & Casino signs new 20-year tax agreement with EGM exclusivity
- Air New Zealand plans to shed 2,000 more jobs to deal with low demand
- Macau Gambling King Stanley Ho passes away aged 98
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More
In a blog post published on Thursday, Facebook’s...Read More
Tech giant Microsoft has announced the launch of a...Read More
At the CES 2016 event to be held in Las Vegas from...Read More
In an announcement made on Tuesday, Disney Research...Read More