Former CalFire battalion chief sentenced to 16 years in prison for killing girlfriend
A former California fire battalion chief was on Friday sentenced by a Sacramento County Jury to sixteen years to life in prison for the second-degree slaying of his girlfriend.
Orville "Moe" Fleming, who once served the California Department of Forestry & Fire Protection, was found guilty in the death of his girlfriend Sarah June Douglas.
Fleming, 57, was charged with murder in May last year after Douglas was found dead in the couple's south Sacramento home. Douglas was 26 at the time.
Defense attorney Peter Kmeto claimed that his client committed the murder in an act of passion during a quarrel and that he hadn't planned the murder. The jury's verdict of second-degree murder indicates that jurors didn't believe that Fleming had planned the killing.
Douglas's mother Trudy Werly said, "You [Fleming] went from a hero to a zero. Was it worth it? Was it? She was just a baby. She was my baby." Stephanie, the victim's sister, said nobody would be able to listen to Douglas' laughter, her voice, and conversation as all that was now just memories.
After the victim's family gave their statements, the jury ordered Fleming to serve 15 years to life in prison and an additional one year in prison for aggravated use of a knife.
Sacramento Deputy District Attorney Noah Phillips said he was satisfied with the verdict.
- Colorado Casinos get green signal to reopen next week
- U.S. Authorities Grant Approval for Tribal Casino in Park City
- Washington’s Puyallup Tribe opens new-fangled $400 million Emerald Queen Casino Tacoma
- Ohio Governor DeWine allows casinos and racinos to resume operations on June 18th
- Drew Las Vegas casino resort project’s future becomes uncertain as developer defaults on debt obligations
- Morongo Casino Resort employee tests positive for COVID-19 weeks after reopening
- MGM Resorts’ Excalibur Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas to reopen its doors on Thursday
- Nikola Motors stock jumps after the company announced electric truck reservation date
- Nevada’s El Cortez Hotel & Casino excited to welcome guests back after prolonged COVID-19 lockdown
- Fantasy Springs Resort Casino reopens its doors to the public
New Zealand News
- BetConstruct obtains license to offer Sportsbook and Casino products in Swedish market
- SkyCity reports “encouraging” business since reopening of three casinos following COVID-19 shutdown
- The Star Sydney Hotel & Casino signs new 20-year tax agreement with EGM exclusivity
- Air New Zealand plans to shed 2,000 more jobs to deal with low demand
- Macau Gambling King Stanley Ho passes away aged 98
Docker CEO Ben Golub said in an earlier-this-week...Read More
In a blog post published on Thursday, Facebook’s...Read More
Tech giant Microsoft has announced the launch of a...Read More
At the CES 2016 event to be held in Las Vegas from...Read More
In an announcement made on Tuesday, Disney Research...Read More