Disney and ETH develop new ‘VertiGo’ robot that can climb walls
In an announcement made on Tuesday, Disney Research Zurich said that it has, in collaboration with ETH University, created a robot which has Spiderman-like capability to climb walls.
The wall-climbing robot developed by Disney Research Zurich and ETH University is called ‘VertiGo.’
According to the details shared by the developers, the Vertigo robot has the gravity-defying ability to make an almost seamless transition from the ground to climbing a wall. The robot gets effectively sucked against vertical surfaces due to two tiltable propellers -- one at the rear, and the other in front -- which give it the requisite thrust onto the wall.
In an explanation of VertiGo robot’s wall-climbing capability, Disney and ETH said in a press release that the choice of two propellers enables the robot’s floor-to-wall transition; and further explained that “thrust is applied both towards the wall using the rear propeller, and in an upward direction using the front propeller, resulting in a flip onto the wall."
The VertiGo robot also has two steerable wheels which make it easy to operate, just like a common radio-controlled car. In addition, the robot also has a pair of infrared distance sensors mounted up front, for an estimation of its orientation in space.
- Tesla’s Model 3 EV with 93-mile range being advertised on Canadian website
- Tesla delays deliveries of refreshed Model S and Model X electric vehicles
- Tesla offering 50% discount on Supercharging at night in California
- GM takes wraps off Hummer EV SUV version; International launch scheduled for 2023
- Toyota’s plug-in car sales in U.S. jump to almost 10,000 in first quarter of 2021
New Zealand News
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
- MGE gets six-month extension for South Korea’s Inspire Entertainment Resort development project
- Price of two cheapest trims of Tesla Model 3 electric sedan increased by $500
- Genting Malaysia asks employees to accept reduced pay; executives to take leave without pay
- Tesla to design & build affordable EV in China: Tom Zhu
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More