Deal to build Detroit bridge plaza is near: a top U.S. official says
A deal is close to fund a $250-million customs plaza required for a planned Detroit River bridge crossing, the Obama administration’s top homeland security official said.
Sen. Debbie Stabenow, a Democrat from Lansing, said in a recent interview that she expected the Canadian government would agree to finance the U.S. customs plaza. Toll revenue would be used to reimburse the Canadian government for advancing the funds.
Speaking about the planned Detroit River bridge crossing, Stabenow said, “I think we should give a big thanks for the Canadians being willing to step up. … We have a very willing partner. I don’t see other realistic options at this point.”
Cited an unnamed Canadian government source, Canada’s Globe & Mail newspaper reported on Tuesday that tolls from vehicles would be used to pay for the $250 million toll plaza under the proposed deal that is under consideration by Ottawa, Washington and Michigan state authorities.
The Canadian government could also pay the money up front to make sure it would not miss a scheduled 2020 completion of the New International Trade Crossing over the Detroit River.
The New International Trade Crossing, which would connect the Canadian City of Windsor with Michigan’s Motor City, would be a second span over the Detroit River. The Canadian government in partnership with private contractors is ready to provide at least $1.8 billion for the project.
Stabenow added that there had been discussions about making a formal announcement sometime next month.
- Development of web resources
- Hyundai’s luxury brand Genesis to make European debut with launch of Electrified G80
- Canoo seeks patent to protect modular & customizable EV platform architecture
- Democratic Senator Tom Carper wants Biden administration to ban gas-powered cars by 2035
- Tesla doesn’t spend money on ‘manipulating’ public opinion: Elon Musk
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More