Michigan Woman’s membership revoked by Planet Fitness after transgender complaint
Fitness chain Planet Fitness revoked the membership of a Michigan woman after she complained about a transgender person in women’s locker room. After 48 year old Yvette Cormier noticed someone ‘dressed like a man’ in the women’s locker room, she immediately went to the front desk to complain.
However, the front desk staff told Cormier that Planet Fitness policy suggest, "whatever gender you feel you are, that's the locker room you're allowed to go in”. Cormier contacted the Planet Fitness corporate office and they confirmed the policy suggested by the front desk staff and the fitness club.
Cormier has been member of Planet Fitness for the past two months. Cormier said, "I wouldn't have signed up for this gym if I knew that ahead of time."
Commenting on the issue, Planet Fitness Director of Public Relations McCall Gosselin said, “The gym is committed to creating a non-intimidating, welcoming environment for our members. Our gender identity non-discrimination policy states that members and guests may use all gym facilities based on their sincere self-reported gender identity."
McCall Gosselin said that Cormier’s Planet Fitness membership was not revoked only because she raised the issue about the transgender person. Gosselin commented that Cormier’s manner in which she expressed her concerns was inappropriate. The management decided to revoke her membership.
LGBT community advocates have supported the decision taken by Planet Fitness.
- National Bank of Ukraine unveils illegal betting payments processed by Leo payment system
- Musk compares chip shortage to toilet paper shortage at start of COVID-19 pandemic
- SparkCharge to offer next-generation mobile charging for just $25 per month
- Gillig receives over $44M contract for 44 electric buses from UTA and Park City Transit
- Nuvve partners with Romeo Power to accelerate V2G adoption by commercial EVs
New Zealand News
- Top places to see in Singapore
- Xpeng enjoys 483% year-over-year jump in May 2021 deliveries; thanks to robust sale of P7
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More