Rise in population of Adelie penguins
Researchers have reported a rise in the population of Adelie penguins. In the last 14,000 years, a rise of 135-fold has been witnessed in population of Adelie penguins. Main reason behind the rise is shrinking glaciers, which is leading to the birth of more Adelie penguins in the East Antarctica region.
Seeing the rise, the researchers have affirmed that current environmental conditions are favoring Adelie penguins. Study’s lead researcher Jane Younger from University of Tasmania in Australia, said that as per their research, shrinking glaciers have acted as a main driver of change in population over so many years for this species.
Younger said, “We need to consider millennial-scale trends alongside contemporary data to forecast species’ abundance and distribution changes under future climate change scenarios”.
Along with this, the researchers have also shared that there are some areas in Antarctica, where the population of Adelie penguins is declining. The researchers in the study have studied the DNA of these penguins so they could know about the population trends in the last 22,000 years.
Now, Adelie penguins nest on ice-free area along the Antarctic coastline and has been benefiting from de-glaciation. Younger said that when the impact of climate change is to be considered, it become important to look at the long-term impact as well as the immediate effects.
Though the population is expanding of Adelie penguin, it is also important to have enough food supplies to meet the demand.
- Development of web resources
- Hyundai’s luxury brand Genesis to make European debut with launch of Electrified G80
- Canoo seeks patent to protect modular & customizable EV platform architecture
- Democratic Senator Tom Carper wants Biden administration to ban gas-powered cars by 2035
- Tesla doesn’t spend money on ‘manipulating’ public opinion: Elon Musk
New Zealand News
- Tesla offering new discounts & perks in China amid negative press
- Electric Vehicle Council slams Victoria Government for proposed punitive mileage tax on electric cars
- Chinese EV brand Ora unveils VW Beetle-inspired electric car Punk Cat
- Swapping personal car for e-bicycle saved over $50,000 in just 7 years: San Francisco woman
- Hyundai Motor Corp to create ultra-fast EV charging network E-pit in Korea
The Health Department of Northwest Michigan has...Read More
American gaming and hospitality giant Boyd Gaming...Read More
An American citizen who had boasted in front of an...Read More
Pushing the long-awaited Chicago casino project...Read More
A study was conducted to evaluate the effect a...Read More
Tech biggie Google’s recent filing with the US...Read More